Serves 4 1 hour preparation | 1 hour cooking
Banoffee is a British dessert made from bananas, cream, and toffee on a pastry or a crumbled biscuits and butter base. Given below is the Banoffee Cheesecake version I prepared for an episode on My Restaurant In India, read on and see for yourself how simple this sweet dish is to make…
- 3 large ripe bananas
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 vanilla pod, seeds scraped
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- ¼ cup sugar ½ cup butter, melted
- 2 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup water
- 1 1/4 cups, 240g sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 vanilla pod, reserved from above
- 1 cup heavy cream
01. Combine 2 bananas and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Stir in brown sugar and vanilla. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, 1 minute or just until sugar has dissolved set aside to cool. Once cool, blend until smooth.
02. In a small bowl, combine cracker crumbs, sugar and stir in butter. Bake at 350° for 5-7 minutes, set aside and cool.
03. Beat cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer 3 minutes or until smooth. Gently stir banana mixture into cream cheese mixture. Place in a tray and set in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
04. In a 3-quart stainless steel saucier, combine water, sugar, vanilla pod and salt over medium heat. Stir with a fork until syrup comes to a boil, about 4 minutes, and then simmer without stirring until syrup is honey-colored, roughly 6 minutes. Continue cooking until syrup is light to medium amber, a minute more. Immediately add cream and reduce heat to medium-low.
05. Stirring constantly with a heat-resistant spatula to knock back the foam, simmer until caramel registers 225°F on a digital thermometer, about 3 minutes.
06. Transfer to a heat-resistant container and cool to room temperature. (No need to discard the vanilla bean; it will continue to infuse the caramel over time.) Caramel will be runny while warm, but thicken as it cools, turning just a little chewy when cold. Refrigerate up to 1 month in an airtight container.