Serves 2 1 ½ hours preparation | 1 ½ hours cooking
The Butter Chicken is yet another recipe from my show My Restaurant In India and you probably already know of my love for this one. This classic, Punjabi Indian curry is all the flavours you can imagine and is such a soul mate with roti and rice alike! Given below are the steps you need to follow to prepare my version of the Butter Chicken or Murg Makhani in Hindi…
- 300 g onion, roughly chopped
- 300 g tomato, quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped chilli
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup milk
- bag of 7 cardamom pods
- 4 cloves
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 kg chicken thigh
- 1 onion finely diced
- 4 cloves of garlic
01. Tie whole spices in a piece of muslin cloth and drop into a pot and add onion, tomato, garlic, coriander powder, chilli powder, salt, chopped chilli’s, cashews, milk and butter and place in a pot with the lid on and cook for 45 minutes until soft and fragrant. Tip: to quicken the process you could do this step in a pressure cooker and cook for 20 minutes. Once ready, allow to cool slightly and blend in a blender until smooth and creamy. You may need to do this in a couple of batches.
02. Place into a pot on the stove on medium heat and pour in the mixture and cook for a further 20 minutes.
03. Place a pan on the heat and add a tablespoon of butter with a drizzle of vegetable oil to prevent burning and add the rest of chopped onions and temper (5 minutes) then the rest of the garlic (2 minutes) and pour straight into the tomato mixture.
04. Meanwhile heat a grill pan on high heat and add ghee and cook chicken. Once cooked, dice and add through the tomato mixture.
05. Finish by adding a hot coal in a metal dish and pour over butter to smoke the butter chicken and place lid on and allow to infuse for 10 minutes.
06. Served with salad and rice.