Serves 4 15 mins preparation | 25 mins cooking
Ras el hanout – the spice
Ras el hanout is a Moroccan spice mix and plays the same role as garam masala in Indian cuisine. It is commonly used in North African cooking. This pungent, warm spice is used in numerous flavorful dishes, rubbed on meat or fish, stirred into couscous or rice. Ras el hanout is a mixture of ingredients such as coriander seed, peppercorn, cardamom, cumin, clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, mace, dry ginger, chili peppers, paprika, fenugreek, and turmeric. It is a blend of such rich ingredients that it makes a good marinade. Also, a combination of ras el hanout and sour cream or butter make a good flavoursome topping.
Superfood Salad Recipe
The options for cooking with ras el hanout is plenty and the recipes are absolutely full of zest. My “Meat-free Monday” begins with this salad, however, should you crave a Crispy Skin Kingfish salad, I’ve got you covered. This superfood salad should have a cape because it is that super!! Not only in nutrients but its delicious flavour. The combination of three powerful super foods allows this salad to be full of complete proteins, beta-carotene, vitamin K, vitamin C, and rich in calcium. Mixed through the salad are spices from the Middle East that will give it a pop and topped off with nice aged Parmesan, this dish will be a hit at any table.
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon mild paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 coriander root
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ½ bunch kale
- ½ Goji berries
- 1/2 cup red quinoa
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup parmesan, grated
01. In a small frying pan on medium heat, dry fry the spices until their aromas can be smelt. Place spices into a mortar pestle.
02. Add the coriander root to the spices.
03. Grind with the mortar until it becomes a paste then add the olive oil, lemon juice and mix through. Pour into a glass and place in the refrigerator to chill.
04. In a saucepan on medium heat, add the quinoa with 2 cups of slightly salted water. Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 mins, once cooked remove by passing through a sieve and set aside to cool.
05. In a small frying pan on low heat, lightly toast the sesame seeds.
06. Cut the kale into 2cm strips.
07. In a large bowl, add the Kale, berries, sesame seed and quinoa.
08. Pour over the dressing and massage through the salad.
09. Add the Parmesan and season to taste and serve.